Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

This is 2001 Prius. Master Warning Light came on 2 days ago.

Customer Question

This is for a 2001 Prius.
Master Warning Light came on 2 days ago. Wife turned it off and started it again. Warning Light went off. I drove it the next day fine for several errands. We got in car later that day and Master Warning light came on again. Immediately went to car rental close by on our way to drop off Prius at a Toyota dealer to figure out the problem. Turned the car off. When turned it back on the warning light was on still but when pressing the gas the car wouldn't move. Turned off car and immediately started it up and it drove fine to the dealer. The warning light was on for them when we dropped it off. Today they drove it several times with diagnostics hooked to it but the master Warning light never came back on for them and they can't find anything wrong with the car. I've read everything from bad gasoline to spark plugs to the battery. If they can't find anything wrong is it ok to drive it and ignore it?? Now one other issue that may be related is the Check Engine li
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The Master warning light comes on when the system sees a system fault and when this happens the computer should set and store a fault code and or codes. The dealer should have been able to scan the system and retrieve the fault code as well. They are going to need to keep the car till the light comes back on so they can pull the fault code and or codes. I would consider leaving it with them till they can come up with a cause. You can continue to drive the car but at some point it could leave you stranded.