Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry, the mileage is 114,000. I have

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Toyota Camry, the mileage is 114,000. I have just detected a loss of coolant and a high reading on the temperature gauge. I see no signs of coolant leakage anywhere. I see a small amount of water running out of the exhaust pipe when the engine is idling. A small leak from the water pump was fixed by replacing the pump last year. The engine never boiled and steamed. The high temperature gauge reading never quite reached the red line. I saw that it was high and quickly stopped the car and brought it home. What could the reason for the coolant loss be other than a leaking head gasket. No coolant has gotten into the crankcase that I can see.
The oil seems clean.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.

First off, Great job on doing your homework. It really sounds like your are knowledgeable;e about your car.

We can break this down into 2 areas for leaking coolant, External and Internal. Now when you say that you didn't see any coolant leaks, how well did you look? Was it on a lift? By a repair shop or yourself?