Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

My car is burning oil. I have a 2000 Corolla. It has 178000

Customer Question

My car is burning oil. I have a 2000 Corolla. It has 178000 on it. Is a rebuild a good idea or used engine?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Corolla.

Have you priced both a used and a reman engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they vary in price. I would rather have a fresh rebuilt then a used one with significant miles. I don't want to spend more than 1300 on installation and the engine itself. The car has new parts other than that except the transmission which works fine. The car has been burning oil since I bought it. I now have synthetic in it, however the engine light has been on and I have gotten a new coil pack, replaced the oxygen sensor and put put the best plugs in it. The plugs are gray and the smoke it produces is gray.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that give you enough.

The reman is the way to go on this and is very smart. Even with a low mileage used engine, you don't know how well it was or wasn't taken care of. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe its time for a new engine, the rings are wore out and the valves click like crazy.

You are correct. Unfortunately things not last forever and the older Corollas were built much better than todays.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is best remanf. or a good used.?

Remanf.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another mechanic told me that the same prob can occur again in a used. So a remanf. makes the most sense to me.?

That is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks.

My pleasure and please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) I strive to give Excellent Service.