cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MasterCertified Tehnician with 35 years experience diagnosing and repairing all makes and models of cars and trucks.
36867192

1996 Toyota Tacoma, 2.4L. Engine makes a sound like Air is

Customer Question

1996 Toyota Tacoma, 2.4L. Engine makes a sound like Air is escaping from it. Vehicle also loses power when gas is applied. I have replaced the PCV & I'm in the process of replacing the Spark Plugs.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Tacoma.

Would you describe the sound as a air sucking sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah now that I think about it, yeah it sounds exactly like that

Do you have some brake cleaner or better yet a can of starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do,

Ok. after you replace the plugs, start it up and try to locate the sucking sounds as close as possible by ear. Then spray some cleaner(fluid) in the general area and listen for the engine to idle up(RPM raise). It should be very noticeable. That's where you will want to concentrate and find this sir leak. It could something simple as a disconnected or split vacuum hose.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thinking it might be a vacuum leak but I wanted a second opinion to see if I was going in the right direction. I will try this & let you know the results. Thank you

My pleasure and please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars). I strive to give Excellent Service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i folIowed the vacuum lines & sprayed starting fluid on & around the vacuum lines & there was no change in the RPM's. I don't know if this helps but it sounds like the sucking sound might be coming from somewhere on the drivers side but as I said I sprayed starting fluid around the vacuum lines on that side of the engine & there was no change in the RPM's

It may not be just the vacuum lines. It could be the brake booster or other items. You can also use your hand and just start covering (grabbing) areas of the engine will you hear a noise change in the sound. Unfortunately there isn't a silver bullet for finding these other than what we have talked about. You just have to pin your ears back and find the source of that noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holy Crap! now it's making another sound. It's a manual transmission & everytime I put the gear back into first gear you can hear what I believe is the Transmission resetting. It's like a winding sound with a clock, clock, clock, sound.

I apologize but I am at a loss on this one. Please allow me to open this up to other Experts for their opinion on this. Please do not reply back to me as it will lock the question back to me. Thanks.

Expert:  cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I will attempt to help you, other than an air sucking sound, could the sound also be described as a bearing noise or screech type noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I shift the gears from 3rd to 2nd gear I notice you tend to hear the sound a lot more. I also notice it sounds a lot like a knocking sound.

I'm gonna steer you in another direction, it appears to me you have an internal clutch problem ,pressure plate ,disc ,throw out bearing . Are there any fluid leaks involving the clutch master cylinder reservoir? check that first, if no leaks, most likely you will need to have the transmission removed and the clutch components inspected.Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question,i will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.