rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Our 2002 Toyota Echo stalls out upon turning on the heater

Customer Question

Our 2002 Toyota Echo stalls out upon turning on the heater blower. The car has 110,000
miles and is in superior mechanical condition, by the book. It happened after driving 80
miles at 70 mph, engine running superbly, then upon turning the blower on, I felt the engine power diminish substantially. Pulling into a gas station, the engine stalled out and
would start immediately then stall out in 2 seconds. Radiator is full and I then discovered the engine will start and run normally if the blower motor is not turned on. We drove the next 100miles as before with no problems. I started the car this AM with no problem at all.
Except the aforementioned blower still stalls the engine, like the primary ignition is being shorted.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

My first suggestion would be to scan the cars computer system and ping all the nodes to see if there is an interference with a body module and the cars PCM.This sounds odd, but can be related to a performance issue.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron!
I want to know if Autozone or like franchise can run the computer check?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

It's their call if these stores will or won't do it. One by my house does it. You just need to call around.