Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

My transmission is not changing and my speedometer is not

Customer Question

My transmission is not changing and my speedometer is not working either.
I have a 1993 toyota 2wd 4runner
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you likley have a bad VSS or vehicle speed sensor, It controls everything not working, Located on the back of the instrument cluster, I have included a link showing the dash parts, trim plate removed, cluster removed, There just is no other detailed repair information offered

PURPOSE
The vehicle speed sensor is used to monitor actual vehicle speed. Vehicle speed information is used by the ECU for fuel injection, air injection (on equipped vehicles), cruise control and electronic control of automatic transmissions.

LOCATION
Located on the backside of the speedometer cluster.

OPERATION
The sensor is a reed switch that is controlled by a rotating magnet. As the magnet passes under the sensor the contacts close momentarily, resulting in a ground signal. The frequency of these ground signals sent to the ECM is relevant to vehicle speed.
The VSS inputs the ECU through terminal SPD.