Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 30+ years in automotive repair.
10906483

I have a 1989 truck 22re in CA. I need guidance on how to

Customer Question

I have a 1989 truck 22re in CA. I need guidance on how to sync up the cam and crank shaft after a broken timing chain. I have removed the head and am trying to find a shop to inspect for valve damage, cracks and if it is warped. Don't know if it would be cheaper to buy a new head. What is concerning me is how I sync up the crank and cam when it is time to put the new chain on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

The best way to go with the cylinder head is to have it rebuilt. They'll mill it flat, grind and seat the valves check it for leaks, put in new valve guides and valve guide seals. This will make the head good for another 100K miles. If you tell me your zip code I can probably find you a shop that will do this kind of work.

This is a good site for replacing the timing chain.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/EngineMods/TimingChain.shtml

There's a dimple on the the crankshaft sprocket and the cam sprocket. There's two shiny links on the timing chain. One shiny link goes to the dimple on the crankshaft sprocket, the other shiny link goes to the dimple on the camshaft socket.

A great investment is to get the factory repair manuals. Not Chilton or Haynes. You can get them on Ebay. There are three manuals available. Volume 1 is the engine and EFI. Volume 2 is transmission, suspension, body electrical, and brakes. There is also an electrical manual.

The factory manuals cover every nut, bolt, wire, adjustment and will show you how to rebuilt or replace every part on the vehicle. They are the best.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if there is anything more I can do to help you.

DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A recommendation for a good shop would be greatly appreciated. My zip code is 92841.
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Quality Cylinder Head Specialists. They're in Cerritos. (###) ###-####

They're the best.

DJ