Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

97 toy tac, check engine lite came on and seemed to hesitate

Customer Question

97 toy tac, check engine lite came on and seemed to hesitate while running, and shimmies when stopped...?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

There could be many reasons for the check engine light to turn on, it depends on what diagnostic codes are stored in the computer so that's the place we need to start, have you had it scanned for codes yet? If not, most auto parts stores like O Reilly, Advance auto, Autozone can help you those codes at no charge, please let me know what codes it has, this will help a lot to start where to look for the problem and I can suggest a remedy without putting parts on that may or may not fix the issue. It sounds like it has a misfire in the engine, has anything been replaced yet to try to fix it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not scanned for codes yet and havent't done anything yet. Garages where I live are closed on Sat.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

None of the autoparts stores I mentioned are nearby? If not I can wait until monday for a sprecific code, in the meantime check to make sure there are no vacuum hoses disconnect under the hood, try to isolate which cylinder it is by removing one spark plug connector on at a time, notr which cylinder is not making a difference in the way it runs, this is the one with the problem, check the spark plugs and plug wire connectors for cracks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can get scanned tomorrow after church. 1130 am CST. will have to wait til then. Thanx
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, talk to you then.