Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My car is still overheating after the radiator flush. The

Customer Question

Hi. My car is still overheating after the radiator flush. The fan clutch and a/c fan have been replaced. There is not a chirping sound that sounds like its coming from the belt/pulley on the far left but the belt/pulley in the middle seems to be a little
off. The noise decreases with time but is extremely loud when I start it. My "shade tree" mechanics are saying that I need a need water pump, a falussion(sp) belt, and a radiator. Also, there is a thick layer of black sludge on the engine that smokes when
the car is started. Please help. Kim
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added pics of the the pulleys and sludge
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

Sounds like the mechanic may be just guessing at what the problem is.

To see if the fan belt needs to be replaces, spray Windex or water onto the belt when it's squealing. If the belt is glazed and causing a squeal, the noise will be reduced immediately. Then the sound will start again as the Windex dries off. Don't use anything with oil like WD40. That will just make the problem worse.

I need to know more about the overheating problem. Does it overheat more when you are on the freeway or climbing a hill? Or is it more likely to overheat when driving in stop and go traffic?

The oil leak probably has nothing to do with the overheating problem unless oil is getting onto the drive belt. This could cause it to slip. Hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look that bad.

Let me know what you can about the overheating and we'll figure this out.

DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It randomly overheats. The last time it happened was in stop and go traffic. I was told there was a crack in the top of the radiator housing.
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Does the vehicle leak coolant? If the radiator housing is cracked, it would be spraying coolant out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are spots on the hose that could possibly be coolant and the spongy material near the crack is saturated.
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

The leaks have to be fixed before you can really condemn anything else on the vehicle.