Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

1997 4runner. nice ride. starter will not turn engine

Customer Question

1997 4runner. nice ride. starter will not turn engine unless, get this, i put it neutral, push the truck a few feet forward, get back in and retry,and it starts right up and we're good. until its time to start it up. this issue started about two days ago. any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Park/Neutral position switch is at fault. The Park/Neutral position switch detects the gearshift position and sends the shifter position signal to the ECM. For safety, the Park/Neutral position switch detects the gearshift position so that the engine can be started only when the vehicle is in P or N gear position.

The ECM will also determine there is a malfunction if it detects that the Park/Neutral position switch sent either P or N position P or N position signal to the ECM while the vehicle is in motion. Usually a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will set. Related DTC's for the Park/Neutral position switch are as follows:

P1780 Park/Neutral position switch/Verify switch input
P0705 Park/Neutral position switch/Verify switch input
P0850 Park/Neutral position switch/Verify switch cycling

The easiest way to verify the Park/Neutral position switch is grounding the starter relay is to monitor the ground on terminal #2 of the starter relay as marked in the link below. If there is no ground at terminal #2 of the starter relay during cranking the starter will not engage.

Starter Relay Location Pin 2

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Thanks.