Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Im I just did a timing belt on a 2006 tundra and now have a

Customer Question

hi im doug I just did a timing belt on a 2006 tundra and now have a code 11 and 21 just done for mantiance no issues till belt was changed was told it was due to after market belt so I put on a Toyota one same results
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Tundra.

The codes 11 and 21 don't appear as good codes and usually come in a letter/number form, like this P0171. How did you come about these 2 digit codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry though you would under stand p0011 and p0021

That's what I thought but just needed to clarify. I take it that these codes were not present before this job was performed, correct?

Do you remember which way you had the arrows face when installing the tbelt? toward or away from the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Torward the engine

I sooo hate to be the bearer of bad news and trust me, when I say that I know you do not want to hear this but the arrows are supposed to face away from the engine. I have included a link to a tech tip about this here.

Doing this job one more time is not what you had in mind but it will fix this issue. You are not the first tech to make this mistake, just keep in mind on Toyota's that the L is always on the drivers side and the R is the passenger.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes sense I will try again thank u

My pleasure and thank you for allowing me to help you. Again, I am sorry that you have to go back in on this one. Please take the time to rate my help when you get a chance (1-5 stars) and know that I strive to give Excellent Service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello again can u tell me where the crank mark goes I reversed the belt and still have same codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again I reversed the belt and same codes can u tell me where the crank mark goes

I'm not sure what you're asking. The crank mark where the crank pulley meets the cover or the crank mark on the gear where it meets the front on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help I figured it out the person who did the belt the first time used the T s for lining up the belt not the I marks so I line it up right all good now thank s again

That's Awesome! Great job on going back in again and fixing what others couldn't. I'm glad that we could get this fixed and hope the pictures helped. When you can, please take the time to rate my help and know that I strive to give Excellent Service.