Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Buying a 1999 4 runner with 166,000 miles what should I look

Customer Question

buying a 1999 4 runner with 166,000 miles what should I look for or expect to have done in the near future
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the VIN available? What engine is in the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to see it at four today no VIN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at four thousand is this a good purchase if the truck is sound
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is it a 4 cylinder or V6 engine?

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back from you on the engine so I will make a few assumptions that it is a four-wheel-drive and a V-6. This puts the average retail price in excellent condition and only about 10 to 15% of all vehicles this age meet that criteria and the private party value is about $3900. You're probably paying top dollar for the vehicle at $4000 I would try and get them down to the mid-3000 range 3200 perhaps. That being said if it is a V-6 engine you need to see if the timing belt has been done if it has not that will hit you for an expensive repair the belt is only good for about 100,000 miles maybe 120,000. If it's a four-cylinder it has a timing chain and the belt is not an issue. Other than that you need to have a Carfax done to see if there's any accident history and find out if there's any good service records of the customer does not have them. Otherwise it is a great vehicle. The only other thing I would caution you on is if the vehicle has been in salt and rusty areas like the Northeast you will have to have inspection of the frame in the front lower control arms done to make sure there are no rust holes through them.