Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My VSC/Trac Sensor comes on almost all the time, sometimes

Customer Question

My VSC/Trac Sensor comes on almost all the time, sometimes while driving, making an awful noise and have to be prepared to grip the wheel. I've been told if I fill up brake fluid to almost max it may help. Otherwise, what is the fix?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. First, filling the brake fluid all the way up is not going to help anything. That is a total myth. What you most likely have going on here is a wheel speed sensor that is malfunctioning in some fashion. The wheel speed sensors tell the VSC/TRAC control unit the RPM of each wheel. If one of the sensors fails, the RPM reading at the controller is zero. That mimics the wheel than has the bad sensor are 'sliding" (zero RPM). This causes the loud noise. Taking the vehicle to a shop, where they have a quality scan tool to read the output of each of the sensors would be recommended. Once the sensor that is reading differently is determined, inspection of that circuit (the wires and the sensor) would then be able to be undertook. You will probably find a bad wheel speed sensor after the scan tool diagnosis.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer