Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Just installed a Kenwood deck into my 00 avalon xls. No amp

Customer Question

Just installed a Kenwood deck into my 00 avalon xls. No amp bypass just wired a scoche harness and plugged it in. Jbl package and getting slight static coming from speakers unless deck is off.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have the JBL system you should have an amplifier under the front [passenger seat. The Kenwood amp0lified signal is most likely causing interference or a ground loop to the JBL amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i fix it? I don't want to bypass the stock amp.

You need to come out of the kenwood with line out. Not speaker out.

If you do not have a line out you will not be able to avoid the static. Your amp is amplifying the amplified sound from the output of the radio (speaker out side. )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that? The only wires i connected are the rc cables to the rear and front outputs on the back of the deck, and the pos neg and constant wires to the wire harness that fits my car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you telling me i need to run speaker wire from the deck to wires after the stock jbl amp? Bc im trying to avoid that

If your radio does not have a 'line out', yes, you are going to need to bypass the JBL amplifier. If you only have speaker wires on the back of the radio, you are sending amplified signal to the JBL amplifier. IN short, you are amplifying an already amplified signal. You need a radio that has Direct Out,, sometimes called Line Out. This is an unamplified signal that the JBL amp then sends to the speakers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the line out look like on the deck? Is that the rc plugs on the back of the deck? Bc the harness is specific to an amplified system

Most line out have RCA connectors. Your radio may have, if it has RCAs, reverse polarity; an incompatibility with the amplifier. In this case, you might want to try to reverse the wires to the amp from the RCAs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like just put the white in the red? I mean the rca arent that color on the harness but is that the concept your getting at?

A RCA has a positive and a negative. Let's say the RCA output positive is red, and the negative is white. Switch them at the wire connection, ie backwards on each RCA. .................... White would then be positive and red negative.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand basic electronics what I'm asking is if I reverse polarity to the plugs on the back of the deck. Because I have tried that and it did not do anything differently and when I unplug the RCA plugs from the back of the deck the sound was worse while the plugs were disconnected

The lack of input signal will cause the amp to produce static. You may have a poor output section in the radio or the amp is not compatible with this radio.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deck is a brand new kenwood kdc-x599. I don't see how it's not compatible and the output section cant be bad

Unfortunately, the possibility is there. It is possible that this radio is overdriving the amplifier. The thing to do here is to hook up a speaker to the radio output. If the speakers operate properly, the unit is incompatible. If so, you will need to bypass the amplifier as the radio has the amp built in.