Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

My truck is having problems this morning. I let it run about

Customer Question

My truck is having problems this morning. I let it run about till it go to temperature. As I was driving down the road the battery light and oil light came on and it just died on me. While that was happening the temperature gauge kept bouncing up and down just before it died. Luckily I was able to get back home. What could the problem be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

The temp gauge 'jumping around' indicates that this is an electrical issue, hard to determine what it is due to being intermittent, one way to go about this is to try to simulate the condition, start at the fuse box under the hood, while the engine is running wiggle the relays and fuses around, it could be a poor fitting relay or fuse or corrosion on the connectors in the sockets. The EFI relay and engine main relay are a possible source of problems. Move some of the wire harnesses around going into the fuse box. Do the same at fuses inside.

A bad ground or corroded, loose terminal connectors could also cause this. Check the engine ground wire connections, they are all brown /black, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't done that again. Now I'm facing a new problem. Sometimes my car wont start and the lights on the dash keep flickering. I remove the battery terminal and place it back into place and it starts just fine. It hasn't died on me while im driving. Then maybe after a day or the next crank up it won't start. I just remove the negative terminal and screw it back in and it cranks fine. I do this everytime it won't start. Took it to a local mechanic but he said there wasn't anything wrong with it. Luckily I wasn't charged for him to look at it in his shop. So im using the money to ask you, hopefully a more qualified tech. Get back to me ASAP, thanks.P.S that battery is new and it's on a 1996 Toyota tacoma V6 4WD
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for getting back to me

when it won't start does the engine turn over but not fire up or does it do nothing at all?

Dot the dash lights come n when the key is turned to the on position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right the truck does nothing whenever I try to crank it. When I turn the keys all the way over the dash lights keep flickering. Stay on for a second then go dim. Then starts flickering again. So I just take off the battery terminal and put it back on and boom. Cranks fine
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** cable is it? Positive ot negative? It sounds there may be bad connection between the battery and either the fuse box under the hood or the ground connection, do you happen to have a volt/ohm meter handy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I always take off the negative terminal because whenever I try to take off the positive terminal I keep getting shocked. i don't have any of that. Could i take it to advance auto parts and get it checked out?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

You may want to have that checked using the testers they have, they'll check the battery and the charging system, it sounds like that's where the problem is, they usually do this at no charge, let me know what they recommend doing.