Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

What will cause my 2007 Toyota Camry Le Brake Light/Abs

Customer Question

what will cause my 2007 Toyota Camry Le Brake Light/Abs Light to come and cause my speedodometer to stop working, then at one time it will go off then it will repeat the same cycle? sometimes when i drive it the Brake Light & Abs light stays off a while then it will go off?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Are there any diagnostic codes? Is the check engine light on as well?

Other than what you've mentioned was anything else done recently, anything replaced on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is on: Auto Zone put there code reader on and said it was bank 1 sensor 2.
nothing was replaced on the car
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , bank one sensor two is behind the catalytic converter, is this the one that was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , and you are still getting this same code?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

If so, what are the code numbers at this time?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just trying to find out if the check engine light is on now along with the ABS/ Brake light or is the abs light by itself, by the way have you checked the brake fluid? Low brake fluid can also cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is on the same time the brake light/abs light is on. when i replaced the oxygen sensor the check engine light went off for about two days then came back on.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** have the code number information that autozone gave you, the specific number?

The problem was not fixed by replacing the sensor that's why i need some specific code information, the current code would help. The abs light can turn on when there is an engine code that's why i would like to have the engine code numbers and go from there.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

I'll wait for your reply, there is no hurry, tomorrow or Tuesday is ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the code is P0420
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine code is P0420
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

That's a catalytic converter failure code, is this a 4 cylinder engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 cylinder
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

All right, that's a pretty common problem on this engine, the converter needs to be replaced, it's part of the exhaust manifold so the whole thing has to be replaced. The P0 420 is very specific to the converter ("catalytic conver performance below threshold")

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will that have anything to do with the brake/abs light?
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

When the computer dtects an engine control or emission control malfunction it will disable other systems like ABS/Skid control, cruise control etc and causes these lights to turn on. If these lights turn on without the check engine light being on it's seperate problem and needs to be diagnosed with diagnostic scanner that can access those systems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could the new oxygen sensor i put on it be a bad sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put the new sensor on the catalytic converter:
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

A bad O2 sensor would set a code specfically for that, it is only logging a code for a insuffiecient cat converter.

You can have the converter tested at either the toyota dealer or a repair dhop that has the diagnostic tools to do so.