roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Ok so I have a 2003 Toyota ghlander with the 3.0 v-6 I

Customer Question

Ok so I have a 2003 Toyota Highlander with the 3.0 v-6 I replaced the timing belt once with no problems but got it back together and let it run to operating tempature and noticed the rear cam seal was leaking a good amount of oil so I tore it back down again fixed the cam seal, the second time I tried putting it back together I had a really hard time getting the tensioner on since it bolts from side unlike most other 3.0 1mz which bolt from bottom up anyway the cam on the rear went back on its own after applying pressure to install tensioner so now I have it back together the (engine itself) to see it run and make sure there is no issues but when I try to crank it, it is starting but missing really bad I don't know what I did is it possible the rear cam going back like that could damage something or could it be a revolution off the timing marks are spot on and not hearing and bad (metal) sounds have rotated engine by hand several times nothing sounds or seems unusual
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the motor is a free wheeling motor so if you did install the belt wrong you will not cause valve damage

check the plugs, wires and coil and be sure all your connections are good and in the correct position.

start there

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out????

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i work 80 hours a week so haven't got to it yet but all the connections are good I wouldn't have asked for help if it were that simple lol I have to double check the timing alignment it either that or a cam position sensor have to check continuity ... You don't live in South Florida do you or know a mechanic that does willing to pay top dollar to complete this no time here
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

I understand, I am in the USA and have no connections, soory.

Just keep me updated

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Roy sorry it took so long to respond I have put everything back together no more oil leak any way I forgot to mention that the battery went completely dead I heard of an idle relearn process but can't find the etch fuse I pulled the efi fuse for five minutes reinserted and nothing same issue the remedy call for pulling 20amp efi fuse along with etcs fuse (10amp) letting sit for 5 minutes reinserting fuses cleaning throttle plates and holding them while some one turns the key until throttle plates slightly move I also cleaned iac valve wishing looked very clean to begin with I scanned it I got po172 and po174 along with po300, 301,302,303,304,305 but not the sixth cylinder it drives but not very well I have want to figure this out so I can put it back on the road again any advice ?