Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a Dyna with a 1kd turbo it has an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a Dyna with a 1kd turbo it has an intermittent problem where the turbo fails to come on boost, almost as if the waste gate or variable vane turbo fails to re engage. What might be causing this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On some models this may be an issue with a component like a throttle position sensor or accelerator pedal sensor that can cause this here if the sensor is sending an incorrect position signal itself.If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set this needs done first.If any codes are set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If there are no codes set I would have these sensor signals checked for any issues to see if one or more of the sensors need replaced.

It is possible this is a waste gate solenoid issue needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete. There is a generic code that some up but I can't remember what it is. From looking on the internet I am thinking it might be related to the variable vanes in the turbo not operating properly - either because they are booked up or seized or because the solenoid that controls them isn't working properly. I will look up the code again and post it when I have it but from memory it seemed to indicate something like a valve or waste gate or something similar (the turbo doesnt have a waste gate from what I can tell) - but it wasnt too specific, was a generic code.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

If you can post the code number/info here this will help for sure.I have seen in several cases before where the turbo itself acts up/fails and causes this issue with it needing replaced and may be intermittent so I wouldn't rule this out.

Thanks Pete