roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, mileage 59,000, bought new tires

Customer Question

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, mileage 59,000, bought new tires 3 years ago: Les Schwab's checked them yesterday-felt they were good for 5,000 miles more. Next oil change not due until mid-December. It was my husband's vehicle: he passed away 4 years ago. He took excellent care of it- I am trying to do the same. Les Schwab repaired a nail in one tire last week when the low tire pressure light went on.
I live 30 miles from work. I'd had an engine check light recently which a friend didn't think was important- it went away by itself. My concern is a "burnt-rubber" smell near the front of the vehicle when I got home from work 2 nights ago. I live 30 miles from work. The temperature needle never exceeded the mid-point. I'm afraid it might be the brakes. When I had to put the brakes on for a sudden stop I felt a "tap-tap-tap" vibration under the floor on the driver's side.
Should I bring the truck to the dealership and have them check the brakes and engine? I'm a widow- I have poor knowledge of vehicles. I work part-time because I have Fibromyalgia and can't afford an expensive procedure. Can you give me some good advice?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

going to the dealership will be costly by itself. your tire guy should be able to help you. most places check the engine light for free. do not ignore it as without knowing why, the problem could become worse over time. have them just check and advise.

the brake noise sounds like hard spots in the rotor. have the brakes checked to verify and see which wheel it is and let them give you an estimate. once that happens get back to us with the estimate and we can go over it and advise you on the repairs.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out