Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I'm replacing a bad windshield washer pump on a 2008

Customer Question

I'm replacing a bad windshield washer pump on a 2008 Toyota Corolla LE. I checked the fuse and it's OK. Unfortunately, I dropped the fuse and can find it so I borrowed a fuse from the cigarette lighter. Now for some weird reason the engine won't turn over (as if the starter has been disabled). I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Please help! I just realized that the security light is flashing. I've tried locking and unlocking the doors to no avail. Also the radio doesn't work. Could I have somehow engaged the security system that is locking both out?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Have you tried putting the fuse back into the cigarette lighter location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I can try that. I'm not sure I have any on hand. I'll see if I can put my hands on one and get back to you.

Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Just remove the windshield wiper fuse and put that one back into the cig. location just to see if that fixes the starting issue. The radio should come back on after you do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Luck.The security light is still flashing and it still appears as though the radio and ignition are locked out.

Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm installed in it or does it have a Toyota factory keyless entry system?

Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Another question, that fuse is not blown, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct. No blown fuses.

Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Is there an aftermarket security system installed in the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Victor replied 1 year ago.

Ok, try this. With the ignition turned on, disconnect the negative terminal in the battery and reconnect it. Let me know if that worked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No go.

Expert:  ASETech32605 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** an ASE Certified mechanic with over 15 years experience.

I can get your car running again.

Sounds to me like you tripped the security system. When you unplugged the fuse, you accidentally put the car into theft deterrent mode.

Does the security light flash steady with the key in the ignition, and turned forward?