Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Ive got the 2004 ghlander 4 cylinder. How can I avoid the

Customer Question

Ive got the 2004 highlander 4 cylinder. How can I avoid the leaking head gasket problem that these vehicles are known for in advance. I am a engineer (electro- mechanical)
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.

Are you having this issue right now?

or are you just wanting to try and prevent this from happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
preventing … no smoke, but oil seems a little watery

The "watery" look may just be condensation from temperature changes this time of year I suspect as we rarely see any oil/coolant mixture unless the problem is already sever. This is more on the Domestic vehicle side.

if you want to be proactive then keeping the coolant serviced (drain fill/flush) every 30,000 miles will work. If you are really concerned that if may be just starting then adding some Stop Leak (product placement) will help seal anything that has started.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
waiting on answer … what about gasket sealer oil addative like "blue …"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a sample complaint:
...I purchased a 2004 Toyota Highlander 1n 2010 with 50000 miles. I loved the car until now. I am now facing a major repair of upwards of $1500.00 due to stripped bolts and coolant leaking into the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blue devil -gasket sealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a typical complaint that I have seen online with these vehicles…. I have a car max warranty and so far my vehicle has begun to have all the complaints that I read online, which they have repaired within the warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok … Is that it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does that address the stripped head bolts that these vehicles typically have, without removing the cylinder head?

The cylinder head bolts strip due to expansion from the heating and cooling process. If you keep the coolant changed regularly and add a preventative measure like the Stop Leak and/or the Blue Devil product, this will help. Other than these things, there's not much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** *****

My pleasure and do you have any other questions I can help with?