Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 92 Camry 4cyl automatic stops running and then will start

Customer Question

my 92 Camry 4cyl automatic stops running and then will start after a few minutes. I had the same problem with a 94 camry and my mechanic ended up replacing the distributor and coil. The mechanic looking at the car now says he cannot find anything and wants to wait until it happens again. Since my wife drives the car she's obviously not too happy with that idea and neither am I. Is there any history with this kind of a problem with 90's era camry's?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Ignition coil issues on the 92 thru 96 Camry product is very well documented. What happens is a hairline crack develops on the side of the coil. This allows spark to 'leak out' of the coil to the distributor housing, effectively stopping the spark from going to the spark plugs. A real close visual inspection will reveal a small discolored or burnt place on the side of the coil. I would recommend replacement of the coil before it fails and leaves the car sitting on the side of the road.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer