Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2003 toyota celica ac quits working random and ac light

Customer Question

my 2003 toyota celica ac quits working random and ac light blinks. took out cab filter, no change, switched relay, no change. when it is working there juice going to ac clutch but when light flashes there is no juice going to clutch.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The AC light blinking is telling us what is going on here. When the AC light blinks, it is indicating that the sensor that is built inside of the compressor is not sending the right information to the AC amplifier. This is a RPM signal. The theory behind the need for the AC amplifier to have a compressor RPM input is a safety feature. If the AC compressor locks up internally, and the clutch does not disengage, the belt will smoke and break. This will cause a loss of steering control. The AC RPM sensor tells the AC amplifier that the RPMs of the compressor are at the desired speed compared to engine RPM (measured via the crankshaft position sensor). When the RPM of the compressor are not within spec, or zero, the AC amplifier cuts the circuit to the AC relay, which effectively powers the compressor clutch off. If it works sometimes, this indicates an intermittent failure of the sensor on the compressor. This is why you light is blinking and no AC (no RPM input) and then works ok (RPM input is read). There are two different compressors for this vehicle. Once you can change the RPM sensor, the other you must chaneg the compressor, as the sensor is built in and not replaceable. A Toyota dealer parts department can tell you which you have and if they can order you a replacement sensor (if it is replaceable). Replacement of the sensor (if replaceable) or the compressor (if the sensor is not replaceable) will cure this condition.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put new compressor on and now it run for a little bit and then the ac lights starts blinkling again. I can cut off and reset it and it goes for a little bit longer and does it again.

Is this a new compressor or a rebuilt unit? If it is a rebuilt unit form an auto parts store, I suspect the sensor is faulty. This is common on aftermarket units. They rebuild the interiors, but rarely replace the sensor.