Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2008 Toyota ghlander and do not have power to the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander and do not have power to the center console 12v outlets. I have checked both the 10A and 20A fuses and both are good. I have also noticed that the DAC button on the console does not cause the DAC light to light/etc on the dash - so am thinking I have more of a wiring problem - can you point me to the right next steps to troubleshoot this or a wiring harness diagram I can look at.
Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Assuming the fuses are good, the nesxt step would be to check to see if you have power and a ground at each of the nonoperative sockets. The 10 amp ACC SOCK fuse powers the socket with the blue (power) and the black (ground) wires. The 20 amp ACC SOCK #2 fuse powers the other sockets Red (power) and white witha black stripe) ground. Using a 12 volt DC testlight (or DC voltmeter), check for power in each of the wires described above. If you have power, check for a ground using an ohmeter. Assuming you have power and a ground, the sockets themselves may have been compromised. There is a tiny fuse (not replaceable) in the base of each socket. If something is put into the sockets that causes too much draw, or shorts out inside the socket, this tiny fuse will open and cut power to the socket's interior. There is really no easier way to check this circuit without a test light and a volt/ohmeter. We need to know if power is present, a ground is present, before we can move forward.