sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Aloha from Hawaii. 08 tacoma 4.0 l engine no codes and new

Customer Question

Aloha from Hawaii. 08 tacoma 4.0 l engine no codes and new plugs and coils. miss under load runs fine normal and hi rpm. fuel good
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A miss under load like you're describing often is caused by an ignition system issue but it looks like you've ruled that out. I'm assuming the correct spark plugs were used and the coils were replaced at the same time as the spark plugs, otherwise there could still be an issue there.

You may have a fuel pressure or quality concern, although low fuel pressure would usually cause an issue at higher RPM's.

Have you tested fuel pressure while the problem is happening, and have you taken a fuel sample?

Does the problem happen with the engine at a certain temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any temp. If you're in third gear and press on the brake a little or climbing a hill it will miss. Scan tool shows cylinders 1 and 2 with miss counts. Going to try and drain tank and any new fuel. Fuel in truck now not old and I haven't seen any water

Before draining the tank I would recommend taking a sample to see if there is really an issue. Have you taken a sample?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New fuel and still same problem. Swapped with a good app and still same. It still jerks like bad coils. Could it be cam or crank sensors or ecu. Thanks for the help

Were the coils and plugs replaced at the same time?

Did the symptoms change at all when they were replaced?

Do you know the brand and part number of the plugs used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed plugs and installed new coils. Truck miss and jerks under load med to high rpm fine. Fuel quality and pressure good. Cylinders 1 and 2 miss when it happens. Need help. Sorry I was on a business trip. Thinking ecu

You're watching live misfire monitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under normal driving and idle truck runs fine. If you should be in second gear but shift it to third and load it up it will miss and jerk. Cylinders 1 and 2. Fuel press good when it all happens

No other cylinders are counting misfires at that time?

What are the long and short term adaptives doing at that time?