Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 1999 Toyota avalon xls with a 3.0 218,000 miles I

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1999 Toyota avalon xls with a 3.0 218,000 miles I have gotten a misfire in cyl 2 and multiple miss fires but the most recent was #2 installed a new coil pack didn't work once the car is warmed up it doesn't seem to have this problem . can you lead me in the direction to fix it ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you are sure the spark plug and coil are good, the next things to look into will be the fuel injector, air intake leaks and ultimately, a cylinder compression test. First, with the engine running, unplug the electrical connector to the fuel injector for cylinder #2. The engine should respond with a worse idle. If it does not, the injector will need to be replaced. If the injector tests ok, next run an intake air leak. With the engine running, carefully and sparingly spray some throttle cleaner around the base of the intake. If the engine responds, this is a sign of a leak and the intake gasket will need to be replaced (make sure to visual inspect the manifold itself for any cracks at this time as well). If the test proves no intake leaks, then a cylinder compression test will need to be done. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why does it run better when its warmed up ?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

If it's running better when warm, I'm leaning more towards an intake leak. The intake will expand and contract with heat and cold, making the air leak less when it heats up and expands. It could also be a semi-clogged fuel injector that when cold, the clog is thicker. These are the next steps to diagnose a single-cylinder misfire.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..