Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2002 SC430 with the abs light and break light on as

Customer Question

I have a 2002 SC430 with the abs light and break light on as well as speedometer not working. Took it into a repair shop, but they couldn't diagnose the problem. Then I took it to a local Toyota dealer and was told the abs module needed to be replaced to the tune of $2,600+. I'm already paying $120 for the diagnostics. I need a second opinion since I'm suspicious. Where would you recommend I go? Thanks.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have an ABS light on, you will have a 'diagnostic trouble code' stored in the memory of the ABS computer. Normally, when you have an ABS light on AND no speedometer indication, we usually see a P0500 diagnostic trouble code which means the 150 dollar vehicle speed sensor is bad, not a 2500 dollar ABS unit.

Did they happen to give you the diagnostic codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Car is still with dealer. Will pick up this morning and get this info and check their diagnostics. May get back with you later this morning.Ron

Get all of their diagnostic information. If they continue to ply that you need a 2600 dollar unit, causally ask them if the replacement does not fix the problem, will they take the unit off and return your money for the repair. Pay close attention to how they react.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer doesn't have codes because the ABS unit would not communicate with the computer. They have power and ground but no communication. Still insist they have to replace the ABS module for $2600.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When might I hear back? I'm on "hold" in the service department waiting for a reply from you. Should I leave and come back or will it be soon?

Sorry. Im back.

Tell them that is not acceptable.

I assume this is a Lexus dealer?

If so, tell them to jump terminal TC and CG at the DLC-3 diagnostic connector. If they do not know how to do that; you need to leave and find a shop who knows what this is. There are times (and this is clearly printed in the service manual) when the scan tool will NOT communicate with the ABS light on (page 05-244)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It's a Toyota dealer. What do you recommend I do next?

Tell them to: pull codes manually using the DLC-3 port. Jump the DLC-3 terminals TC and CG, then get on TIS and look up the codes from the flashes of the light. Tell them this verbatim.