scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

2012 Camry XLE with V6 and Automatic Air A few times the air

Customer Question

2012 Camry XLE with V6 and Automatic Air
A few times the air doesn't blow at all to anywhere but the digital read out shows 5 bars and all the normal lights are on the display. As I'm driving at some point it will begin to blow normally. Usually it functions normally but this issue has occurred twice so far this week. I've tried turning the AC off and back on and restarting the car but it doesn't have any effect. Again while driving my 20 minute commute it begins to work normally. No other diagnostic lights are visible. It makes absolutely no noise from the blower area.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

What is the temperature outside when this occurs?

Also what is the temperature that you have selected on the A/C display when this happens?

This only happens when first starting the car and driving? It doesn't happen once the car is warmed up correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside temp was approx. 77 and the car is set on 70.
It has only happened twice. The second time I had driven it approx. 8 miles and then it came on. The display indicated the blower speed was 4 bars but no air was coming out. Afterwards when the vehicle is started it functions normally.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Have you ever had an A/C evaporator service preformed on this car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it only has 53000 miles on it.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

This is usually an indication that the A/C compressor isn't ready to operate. It will prevent A/C compressor and blower motor from coming on until it senses it is ready. Does this condition only occur when the climate is set to auto? or does this happen when not in auto too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stays in auto but when I started the car the last time it occurred I started pushing buttons including the auto button but it had no effect.
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

OK, some delay is normal when in Auto mode, but 8 miles till it came on sounds unacceptable. I believe an inspection of the blower motor and its circuit board is called for. I believe that some thing may be wrong with the blower motor circuit board. Earlier in the conversation I had asked if you had had an A/C evaporator service done to this car, the reason I asked about this is this service can cause moisture /liquid to drip on to the blower motor and its circuit board, causing a problem on the circuit board. I wonder If some other type of moisture , or rain some how dripped down on to the blower motor circuit board. I believe removing the blower motor and inspecting may result in find some thing is wrong with it.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you haven't accepted my answer do you require more assistance? If not please accept my answer and rate the service provided.

Thank you for using Just Answer!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Considering the mileage and age of the car I assumed this issue has been experienced by others and that with confidence the fix would be a sensor or the control display. Given what you feel would be the next step then I have elected to allow the condition to worsen before correcting since it appears to be an unfamiliar and intermittent issue. I don't want to begin the repair without a reasonable amount of certainty for what the correction would be. Thank you for your responses.