Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Does a blocked egr valve cause heavy exhaust smoke.

Customer Question

does a blocked egr valve cause heavy exhaust smoke.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A blocked (or otherwise inoperative and will not open) EGR valve will not produce blue smoke. Blue smoke is caused by one (or a combination) of three things, and both causes involve engine oil. The main cause is piston rings. If the oil control ring is seized up by carbon formations, the ring no longer can move freely on the piston (it actually spins around the piston slowly as the piston moves). The oil control ring does just what its name implies, it wipes down (controls) the lubrication oil on the cylinder walls. Secondly, if there is a severe buildup of engine sludge in the valve cover/camshaft area, the PCV system will actually suck wet oil form this area where it is drawn into the intake manifold and burned. The last possibility is worn valve guides and worn valve seals. The seals prevent lubrication oil from being sucked into the engine down the valve stems. Worn seals and worn valve guides will allow oil to be drawn into the intake manifold, where it ends up being burned in the combustion chambers. All of these three possibilities will produce blue smoke. There are tests that a shop can do to check the oil control rings; a visual inspection would be in order to check for sludge and broken valve seals. Replacing worn valve guides is costly and will require removal of the cylinder head. You can lessen this condition by moving to a heavier weight motor oil, like 20W40 or 20W50. However, the problem that is causing this will still be there.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer