Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Have a front end noise that was diagnosed as front wheel

Customer Question

Have a front end noise that was diagnosed as front wheel bearings. had them both replaced and still have the issue.
I noticed in your questions about the noise vary if you turn at all. Ours goes away turning to the left.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sequoia.

The way you describe the noise very well sounds like a wheel bearing issue, and still could be.

Who (Dealer/Independent) replaced the wheel bearings?

Were OEM or aftermarket parts used?

Was the hub replaced or reused when the job was performed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Independent ASE Certified mechanic replaced both wheel bearings. Not sure on what type of parts were used.

I forgot to ask if this is 4wd?

Did the noise change at all from before the work was performed?

How many miles ago was this job performed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4WD. Noise didn't change at all. Just completed.

I think we can rule out the 4wd as being the culprit since the noise goes away when turning.

Now have you test driven with the technician working on your Sequoia? Didn't they test drive it after the work to verify that the noise was fixed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify. I had tires rotated where I purchased them at one shop and they diagnosed the noise. Had my normal repair shop do the work.They kept the vehicle when it didn't fix the issue. I left it there today, am going to pick it up now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the hubs need to be replaced too?

From my experience, and not to say that this shop does bad work, I have seen very often that if OEM parts are not used and the hubs replaced, these will still make noise. Yes, that means the job will have to be done again. In this case though, they may have gotten it fixed, I would ask to take a ride with the Technician or Manager and that way you can say right then and there if it's fixed. Don't accept the Sequoia or pay for the repair if it's not fixed.

Does this make sense? I am here to help as much as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** see I guess.

Well I think you have a plan and I don't see them calling you and saying that the job is done unless it's fixed. They just may have not pressed the bearing in properly, which is what this usually comes down too. Just take a ride to be sure it's fixed and I think you'll be fine.

Please know that I strive to give Excellent Service when you get a chance to rate my help.