Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I just installed a new waterpump, timing belt, thermastat,

Customer Question

I just installed a new waterpump, timing belt, thermastat, and radiator to my 2001 toyota camry 2.2L 4 cyclinder.
After starting the car I only got a minute down the road when my temperature gauge rapidly began to climb.
I took the thermostat out this morning, put it in hot water and it definitely works.
to test the waterpump my Hanes manual recommends squeezing the upper radiator hose, and I "should feel a pressure surge if the waterpump is working"
I felt no surge.
does this mean I definitely have to buy and reinstall another new waterpump?
or...
I also spoke with a mechanic and he mentioned that coolant might have drained from the engine block and it wont get back in. that he uses a special tool to get coolant into the block. none of my literature or videos I've seen mentions doing anything special to get coolant back into the engine.
So am I screwed without this special tool? or do I have to take everything back apart and get another new waterpump?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you remove the thermostat in install just a rubber oring to seal the housing then fill with water and go drive it does the temperature gauge just barely come up off of the cold and it runs normally with no overheating?