Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a Toyota Sienna, the problem is that only at first

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a Toyota Sienna, the problem is that only at first ignition start it make a horrible scquicking noise like the belts are very dry and in a minute or so it stops, when the engine its warm or hot no noise. Things I tried belts sprays to lubricate, I change both power steering and serpentine belts, and still continue. One small thing I notice is that when I go out my drive way and turn the steering all the way its seems to get kind of hard for a second or so never the lest the noise is their and after I accelerate and go forward it stops. the next thing I was thinking to change is the damper. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Did you actually replace the drive belts yet? If so what brand of drive belt did you use? How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you noticing any power steering leaks or have you had to add fluid to the power steering reservoir? How old is the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace the belts with original toyota brand belts, 63,000miles, no leaks of any kind, all fluids levels are okay, and the battery is lest than a yr old.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Approximately how many miles and months have the drive belts been on the car? Is the plastic shield installed that goes on the inner fender and hangs down in front of the engine on the right side of the inner fender well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I change the belts last month and they were never change because it had the original ones, it has the plastic shield I just check, I notices that the power steering fluid container has two lines around the middle I can not read what it says but can assume that is low and high, well the level is above the higher line but not all the way up.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

At this point we can probably rule out any issue with the power steering pump or the fluid. It is not recommended to spray lubricants/dressing on the Toyota belts. This engine particularly is difficult to stop that initial squeak of the belts. I have had multiple issues with aftermarket belts like Goodyear and so on. It's possible that you have gotten the belts contaminated at this point. When installing the belts especially the power steering belt it has to be extremely tight. Almost to the point where you get virtually no deflection between the two pulleys when pushing in on the rubber belt. The alternator belt itself doesn't need to be quite as tight as the power steering belt but however if you are getting an additional squeak on the belts after startup this is caused by the alternator charging to recover the battery after the initial draw down on the start up. This just means the belt needs tightened up a little more. However again if the belts are contaminated at this point by putting spray additives on them normally they will have to be replaced. Before you replace them I would get some brake cleaner from your local parts store and with the engine running spray the brake cleaner on the drive pulleys at the alternator power steering pump and the main crank pulley it will dry very quickly but this will remove any contaminants from the pulleys. Then tighten the belts up extremely tight more than you would normally think they needed to be and see if the squeak goes away.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will work on your suggestion on the weekend and let you know if i solved the proble. Thanks
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay we did the adjustments just like you said, it still does a bit of noise in the first start but it does not last very long, i also decontaminate the belts with the break cleaner. You think that i should try adjusting it some more?
Thank you
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. If that still gives a little noise you may have to replace them again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am upset because a did everything and the squiring and noise continue, i really do not think that replacing the belts again will solve the problem.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

On this particular year the drive belts were notorious to make a chirp sound after initial startup. I have owned two of these. They both did the exact same thing I got it down to almost nothing with the exception of one light chirp after startup. I was only able to accomplish this by putting the belts extremely tight and they were Toyota belts.