Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 95 toyota 4 runner is in limp mode came out of nowhere

Customer Question

My 95 toyota 4 runner is in limp mode came out of nowhere when driving 50 down the highway also it has no codes ...iv replaced the air filter the tps ,plugs wires cap and rotor ,coil,engine temp sensor and fuel pump and fuel filter
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

Did the vehicle make any sounds when this happened?

Does the engine run smoothly, but just have no power?

Is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Please let me know and we'll figure this out.

DJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi no it didn't make any sounds just lost all power until the motor went below 2 thousand rpms. .had alot of power below that just acts like a Rev limiter when it hits 2 thousand rpms. The motor is a 3.0 v6
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

The most likely cause of this is the throttle position sensor or wiring to the TPS even though you've already replaced it. It could also be out of adjustment, but it would have to be really far out.

When the ECU (engine computer) thinks the throttle is closed and the engine RPM is over 2,000 RPM, the ECU shuts off the injectors.

It thinks that you're engine braking and coming down a hill so there's no need for fuel to get to the engine.

If the throttle position sensor is faulty, or the wiring to the throttle position sensor is faulty, the ECU will shut off the fuel as soon as the engine reaches 2,000 rpm.

Have you got a volt meter and are you pretty good at reading it? We need to see the output from the TPS.

Let me know and we'll figure this out.