Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I just replace the ocv valve, bank 1, and after cleaning my

Customer Question

I just replace the ocv valve, bank 1, and after cleaning my throttle body and IAC valve with some throttle body cleaner, and reassembling everything, the car will turn over, start and die immediately. I know it's the ocv valve because it immediately through the p1656 code, but now I'm trying to figure out if it's the ECM, or the wiring, as I already put in the old OCV valve to see if the new one was bad, but it does the same thing.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you Please advise what model this 2000 Toyota is, and the engine type Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Xls V6
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Avalon sorry

No worries. Assuming you did not pinch the wire going to the OCV, I am thinking that you have a bad Idle Air Control valve. Cleaning these things never works. Trust me, I have tried it on at least 100 IACs; I cannot get them to work when they carbon up and I clean them out. This car needs the IAC to move on start up. If it does nto move, you are not getting enough air thru it to maintain start idle. Either the IAC is bad (probably) or the rubber gasket is torn and allowing a vacuum leak. Mt thinking here is you need to replace the IAC and then clear the 1656 code. Then address the 1656 code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But would cleaning the IAC valve cause it to suddenly stop working? Because it was just a rough idle before with error codes p0301/3/5 and a p1349. I just cleaned the IAC because I saw that the throttle body was pretty gunky.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was trying to check to see if the fuse of the ecm blew, but couldn't find a fuse marked for it. Also, it wouldn't throw a p1656 code if it was the iac, right?

P0301 P 0303 and P0305 are cylinder misfire codes, most commonly bad ignition coils or wires (depending on which engine you have). Let me ask this: if you start it up, and 'feather' the gas pedal, can you keep it running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they weren't bad coils or plugs, it was a bad ocv, which is why I changed it. And no, I can't keep it running with the throttle open or closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It immediately dies after choking for a second.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unless P0301-5 with a p1349 doesn't indicate the bank 1 ocv causing a timing misfire...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how to check the wiring to see if some of the throttle cleaner or water got in it and fried it?

If you cannot feather it, the VVT gear on the cam is stuck in the advance position. This gives you cyls 1, 3 and 5 valves open improperly. This will entail removal of the VVT controller and replacing it. Did you try to start it with the OCV wire disconnected? If so, does it start then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, won't start with it disconnected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or with the iac valve unplugged so air is sucking through just the hose

You have a stuck VVT controller. I would recommend replacement. This is not an easy job.

the 1349 code and the p0301-3-5 codes override the 1656. This really sounds like a VVT issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but why would the car be idling roughly, throw the codes I mentioned, have the ocv replaced and all of a sudden have the VVT issue occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But also, the 1656 code didn't occur until after the ocv was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if the others are gone or not because the engine can't run long enough to throw them.

The rough idle was most likely the beginning of the VVT controller sticking. You changing the valve caused oil to either flow more or less than is needed. This forced the already sticking gear to fully advance or retract (I cannot tell you which way, though). The car should start with the OCV disconnected, unless the OCV is shooting full oil pressure out of when cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couldn't it be that the ocv is stuck closed because of a wiring short or ecm problem? Wouldn't it be better to check that first?

An ECM issue would be rare. The test is to apply battery voltage to the terminals of the OCV. Please do this with some lengths of wire from the battery. Advise if the engine starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no go...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the vvt controller located?

Ok. That confirms that the VVT controller is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a matter of replacing, or just cleaning?

The VVT controller is a drum-type gear mounted on the end of the cammshaft. As the OCV opens, oil pressure is sent to the VVT controller where it rotates a bit. Not unlike a vacuum advance on an older distributor. The oil pressure fed to the controller moves the valve timing. The car should start and run with the OCV wire disconnected.

Replace. You cannot disassemble the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking in my haynes manual for 97-01 camry/lexus/avalon, and it's referring to camshaft sprocket/actuator assembly. Is that the same thing?

Yes we call it the VVT actuator in this part of the country

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so if I remove the valve cover and the timing belt I can take out the intake camshaft and remove the vvt actuator off of the end by unthreading it from the camshaft and then put on a new one?

The camshaft needs to come off of the cylinder head.

Then you can easily fit a new one onto the cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so what about the throttle body cleaner that I shot into the throttle body causing it to fail and giving the same symptoms? And at this point it's sounding like I should just take it in to have diagnostics run on it because I'm having a hard time believing changing out the ocv could cause the vvt actuator to just stick. The old OCV works just as well as the new one. With the engine off I first sprayed throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and IAC valve, scrubbed it and wiped with a rag as far in as I could reach, then I replaced the OCV and plugged everything back together. Again, the old OCV doesn't show any signs of sticking? I just can't get around the codes being thrown.

You initial request was misleading. You originally stated a p1656. Then you state p0301/03/05 and P1349. The P1656 was set because you had the key on when you changed the OVC, or you did not clear the codes. The controller test failed. The Carb cleaner in the throttle body has nothing to do with this. If you took the IAC off and damaged it, or you have a vacuum leak, you need a new one. That is what I originally recommended. Replace the IAC. After that, you start telling me that you have other codes, and a P1349 This causes me great concern, asd I d not know if you are going to mount other issues. With that being said, you need a new IAC because you damaged the old one trying to clean it. They are not to be cleaned. Once they fail, get carboned up or fouled with they are no longer of any value. With regard to the 1349, you need a VVT controller. These failures happen quite suddenly. I have replaced probably 200 or so. Again, the car SHOULD START with the OCV disconnected, unless you have a terrific vacuum leak where the IAC is located. A huge vacuum leak will not allow a car with a GOOD VVT controller to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, before I "Fixed" anything, the codes were p0301/03/05 and P1349. Then I cleared the codes and drove it around a little, still hesitations and driving rough, but no codes were thrown, so I looked up what others were saying and narrowed it down to the ocv being most likely the problem, but the iac valve being possible as well. So I bought the ocv valve and got some throttle cleaner. I cleaned the throttle by shooting it into the throat and the iac valve by shooting it down into the intake port inside the throttle body. I also changed the ocv. Then the car would turn over, but immediately die, which brought me to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the p1656 code being the only code given.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since the engine is not able to run, I assume it could throw the other codes again, but won't know until it's running for long enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the p1656 code only began AFTER I changed out the ocv. The others before I started where the bank 1 misfires and p1349.

You have not had the engine running long enough to reset the 1349 code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly, it's probably still there.

Take the OCV out. Put it in a plastic bag hooked up. Crank the engine. Does oil shoot out of it or not?

wait

wrong engine

that wont work on this engine.

Pull the valve cover. Set the engine to TDC. All of the valves on the number one cylinder should be closed. if not, the controller is stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now, all I know is that the engine won't start which a mechanic said could be caused by me spraying throttle body cleaner into the the throttle body, and the code p1656 which could be the vvt actuator, or it could be that the engine can't start because of the throttle body issue, and it's just making it look like the actuator because of the p1656
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I guess that's next step.

Spraying throttle body cleaner into a throttle body does nothing. Throttle body cleaner is designed to be sprayed into a throttle body. Unless you spray 4 quarts. Whoever told you that spraying TB cleaner into the TB has no clue as to what is going on here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, i will try what you said.

And please tell this guy that a 20 year Toyota mechanic thinks that he should be ashamed of himself telling you TB cleaner in the TB screwed this engine up.