Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota 2006 Prius will not start check engine light on

Customer Question

Hi Toyota 2006 Prius will not start check engine light on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a code reader to see if there are any codes set in the engine computer?

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Does the light in the start button illuminate? If you have the key in the slot and push the power button twice does anything come on on the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no code reader... The start button briefly illuminated all lights came on but the engine did not start, I then hit the start button again to turn the car off, after the car switched off. I waited a couple of seconds and hit the start button again this time the check engine light illuminated but nothing else.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

What about the LED in the start button does it ever turns green does it turn red or orange or does it flash when you try and get the vehicle to ready on? Did you have the jumper cables to the battery in the back or at the terminal in the fuse block on the hood? Do the rest of the electrical components work for example the Windows wipers lights and so on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing electrical works at this time.. I do have a set of jumper cables, but they are not connected at this time, the start button does not turn green... I can try to jump again but when I tried this with both a battery booster box, and also a set of jumper cables both gave the same result... I can try again
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the battery out of the vehicle and had it tested at a nearby parts store? At any time did the jumper cables get hooked up backwards even for a split second?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the jump cables were connected with the right polarity... however, let me check the jump proceedure again to ensure I am connect the negative on the Prius side correctly right now it is connected to ground...
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The black or negative battery cable should be on the negative post which goes to the body on the battery the positive or red cable goes to the positive terminal on the battery which has the large plastic cover over the terminal. If you are under the hood the red jumper cable goes to the terminal inside the fuse box under the red lid. The negative or black cable would go to the case of the converter/inverter or any good clean metal surface under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I got it started bad ground may be reconnected the jumper cables again and the interior lights came on so I knew I was in business the card started right up after that... Thanks
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please do not forget to rate my assistance at three or higher if you have not done so already. You are probably going to find that the battery is going to have to be replaced. Have it tested and or replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy to rate your response, but for some reason the option to do so is greyed out.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure why that is the case see if anything comes up after I send this reply to you. Thanks for getting back to me.