Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 03 corolla the car stays stuck in park, i have to

Customer Question

My 03 corolla the car stays stuck in park, i have to manually put it in drive. The radio, gauges, windows and ac does not work. I checked all the fuses even the 100 amp alternator fuse and they are all good. Do you know what it could be?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The first thing we need to know is this: DO the brake lights illuminate when you press the brake pedal? Please advise and we will continue from there. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the quick reply. One more question....Has anything ever been spilled (coffer, soda, etc) where the shifter is located on the top of the console?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was installing a switch for some neon lights and the switch feel under the dash touch something under the dash and everything went out. The wire for the light was attach the the brake light fuse but that fuse did not burn out.

Ok. This leads us to the shift lock solenoid located under the console. If you have to depress the button to manually get it out of park, the problem is either

1) No power to the solenoid (there are two power circuts connected

2) No ground to the solenoid

3) the solenoid internal wiring has failed and will not energize to retract the pin that locks the shifter in park.

If you have the ability to check this, we need to check for power in the solenoid. Can you remove the console to access the solenoid wires and do you have a means to test voltage (12 volt DC test light or DC volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shift lock solenoid is fine. I hear a clicking sound come from underneath the steering wheel

You did not mention that. Ok. Since it clicks, that is good, but, that does not mean that the pin is fully releasing, or the pin is worn and binding; this could cause the pin to not retract fully to allow the shifter to be removed from park.