Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I replaced the alternator on my 2009 Venza and now the car

Customer Question

I replaced the alternator on my 2009 Venza and now the car want start. The brake lights do not come on and I do not get the green start signal at the switch when pressing the brake pedal.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Which engine do you have? 4 cylinder or 6?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you disconnect the battery when you changed the alternator?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You should check this fuse (#8) in the under hood fuse box to make sure it's not blown.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not have a separate fuse there. It has a long block there that appears to have several fuses built in it. I hve pushed the release tab but cant get it to come out. I also checked the hot wire on alternator and it has no power there.Yes we disconnected battery.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

If there is no power to the Alternator then that fuse #8 must be blown. The plastic cover should come off and you should be able to see fuses underneath. Could you attach of picture of the box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cover is off. It is a long narrow block containing several fuses. They are all one assembly. There are two of them in the fuse panel. I was able to get one out but not the one I need.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Oh, ok sorry. I didn't understand what you meant. You will most likely have to remove and disassemble the fuse box to get the fuse bar out. They bolt the higher amperage fuses in and the Alternator fuse is 140 amp.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Got it out
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Oh good. I hope you get it going again.

Let me know if you need any help in the future.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.