Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

In depth question: I have a 2003 ghlander, 3.0L V6, FWD,

Customer Question

In depth question:
I have a 2003 Highlander, 3.0L V6, FWD, with a blown engine.
I have available a 3.0L V6 from 2002 Avalon, low miles, excellent condition. But the motor mount on the Avalon is at the rear center of the block, while on the Highlander the mount is attached at the corner of the engine between the hydraulic timing tensioner and the crankshaft pullet/harmonic balancer. The Highlander mount will not bolt to the Avalon engine because the hydraulic tensioner is in the way and the front piece that the water pump bolts to is slightly different.
It looks like I can swap parts from the Highlander engine to the Avalon engine to make this work, although not easy. I'd really like to use the Avalon engine if possible.
Can anyone tell me (a) is this possible? and (b) how hard is it to swap the parts (hours estimate or educated estimate)?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.

I have not attempted this before myself, but going by the interchange book, they are not interchangeable.