Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My tail lights are not working. I checked all the fuses and

Customer Question

My tail lights are not working. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I hooked the truck up to a trail and when I turn the lights on the marker lights on the trailer come on but not the tail lights. Any ideas. ThAnks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please allow me to ask if the brake lights work. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the brake lights work.

Since the brake lamps work, we can safely say that the ground circuit for the taillights is good. There is a wire connector on the wire harness under the bed. The tailights power comes from the fuse panel via a solid Purple wire. Then this wire enters a terminal connector where it branches off both of the lamp assemblies. I would check this connector to see if it is corroded inside. If no corrosion, check to see if it has power. If it has power, the rear sub harnesses to the lights have bad wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I find this terminal.

Under the bed, under the left side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The are lots of wires under there, any general area. And by left I assume you mean passenger side, also I notice license plate lights are not working are they connected in anyway.

Left is the driver side and the license plate wires are powered by this same wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a large harness that runs above the spare tire. Would this be it. Would the terminal be in back of the spare tire or more to the front of the truck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This wire also runs into the trailer plugs as will.

The connection will be between the spare tire and the rear bumper.

You want the other side. the harness that branches away from the main big wire and then moves towards the back of the truck. Before you tear into that, did you check for power in the solid Green wire at the taillight connector on the side of the taillight housing? Sometimes, corrosion gets in there.

If you have power in the solid green wire, the harness connections are OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much power should I be getting through the green wire

whatever the measurement is across the battery terminals. At least 12 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting like .02 v so I assume there is an issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked it right next to the socket correct

Yes. Correct. Next, follow that wire down to the main harness. You have an open circuit someplace between the green wire for the taillamps and the feed wire form the front of the truck, Assuming your TAIL fuse is good. You might want to check to see if you have power on both sides of the fuse. Sometimes it fits, but does not make contact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I but the fuse in it made a click noise. It was the only fuse that did that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put* it in.

When fuses click they usually seeing a short...this causes it to blow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I must have a short. Why would the trailer ***** *****ghts come on but not the truck if it was a short. It must be a short between the terminal in the back and the truck tail lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this have anything to do with the trailer electric brake.

It is possible that the trailer harness is shorted. Look for corrosion in the socket.