Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

How can I dislock and disable alarm system steering wheel

Customer Question

How can I dislock and disable alarm system steering wheel locked, and key won't turn thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There is no alarm system that I know of that locks the steering wheel, and, it would be a really bad idea if someone created such an alarm, as if if failed the steering would lock up. When the steering wheel is locked, this is via a passive measure built into the ignition assembly.

Let's do this first:

Grab the steering wheel and try to turn it to the left or the right, as hard as you can, and, at the same time, with the other hand, turn the key. You may need to try to turn the wheel to the left and the right. Remember to turn it as hard as you can, and turn the key at the exact same time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that still won't turn,

Does the key move at all in the ignition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No!!

Do you have significant arm strength? It does take some rather strong arms to release the passive steering lock

No offense, but if you are a 105 lb female, you may not have the strength needed to move the wheel far enough to release the bind that is what causes the wheel to lock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Takes the key to unlock steering wheeI have significant strength in my arms

Let me ask this: are the wheels turned to the left or the right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slightly to right

Do you have the means to raise the front wheels off of the ground (ie a floor jack)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but want solve problem. Ignition want turn it is totally locked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slight right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main problem is the ignition Wil not turn at all. Want move even with force.

Please allow me to explain:

When the key is out of the ignition, a small pin is allowed to release. This pin will fit into a perfectly sized hole in the steering column. When the wheels are turned, the hole lines up with the pin. Under spring pressure, the pin fits into the hole in the column. If the wheels are turned and the pin is in the hole, the pin can jam. This keeps the key from turning as the force of the pin being jammed will not allow the ignition cylinder to turn. To releive the bind, one must either turn the wheel and turn the key simultaneously, or, releive the bind caused by the placement of the front tires holding the steering column. Raising the tires off of the ground may assist. The only other thing that can be happening here is the ignition lock as failed internally. This would keep the pin extended. If thsi is so, you will need to remove the tow devices that connect the U bracket on the left side of the column to the ignition assembly. This requires a dremel moto tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try hope it works. Thanks

Do you know how to extract the break away head bolts on the U clamp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has left to see about tools. May need this question answered later if possible thanks

Ok I will be here. Just replay when you need me. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will take to dealer

ok. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.