Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have code P1780 and the camry will not shift beyond first

Customer Question

I have code P1780 and the camry will not shift beyond first gear .
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This is actually a fairly common problem. What you're going to find is that the wiring harness is pinched or broken in the harness in the trunk. Locate the harness were it goes along the left hinge. You will find one of two things either the harness got pinched between the spring mechanism or typically what happens is right where the harness comes off of the main quarter panel harness and loops down and up the hinge to go to the deck lid lights the wires get broken from twisting from it lifting up and down. Strip the plastic casing off of this wiring harness were comes off the main quarter panel harness and you will find the wires are broken in there. Repair these wires and you should be good to go fix all the fuses and let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I open the wire, from the trunk lid up to where it divides inside the trunk no wire is broken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found out the previous owner did repair two wires there, I cut them and solderer them still nothing changed. but now no fuse is broken.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is it just the P1780 code that is setting? Are you sure you got the NSW installed correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to install is wrongly it only goes one way.can not be installed backward
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

No but the adjustment is important. Does the indicator show R and D and N when shifted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car starts in park and neutral only and it was doing that before I installed the P/N switch .I replaced that because the terminal seems broken .it moves back and forth like it was broken. but stll doing the same
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like it is adjusted proper. Otherwise it would not start in P and Neutral. I will have to opt out. I have not seen any other issues then the wires shorting in the trunk as I mentioned but that does not appear to be the issue. Maybe one of the other experts may have seen something else that may be causing it.