Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience
11042942

I own a 04 ghlander. when i turn the wheel even slightly to

Customer Question

I own a 04 highlander. when i turn the wheel even slightly to the left a loud whirring friction type noise seems to be coming from the right front wheel area.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is this sound produced while the vehicle is in motion? No noise when travelling straight or turning to the right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the sound is there when traveling straight but it is not as loud.No sound when turning to the right at all.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this type of noise is indicative of a failing wheel bearing. Loading the wheel bearing by turning one way and unloading it by turning the other way will increase or diminish the noise produced. The wheel bearing will need to be replaced to fix the problem.

Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I THOUGHT IT WAS SO I ASKED A MECHANIC FRIEND TO CHECK IT AND HE SAID THAT ALTHOUGH IT IS CLASSIC WHEEL BEARING SIGN HE FOUND NOTHING ELSE WHEN HE PUT IT ON THE LIFT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS IT POSSIBLE IT COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Not really likely that it is anything else. When the vehicle is on the lift there is no way to load the bearing to get it to make noise. Eventually if you drive the vehicle long enough, the wear in the bearing will become obvious, even with the vehicle on the lift. I don't suggest driving it this long. I feel you are safe in replacing the bearing to fix the noise.