Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I am looking at buying a Toyota Sequoia with 150,000 miles.

Customer Question

I am looking at buying a Toyota Sequoia with 150,000 miles. It looks and drives beautifully as good exhilaration. Engine sounds good at idle. When accelerating and above 35 to 40 miles an hour. There is a noticeable ticking, louder from the drivers side. What could this be and do you think it's serious enough I should avoid this vehicle ?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Sequoia.

When you say ticking noise, is this from the engine or like the wheel area(tires/Brakes/wheel bearing)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sure it is the engine area.

Thanks. Are there any warning lights on in the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights. It was like the pinging you hear when using lower grade gas but the sound was more audible when driving than riding in the passengers seat. Not near as loud as pinging.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have driven similar vehicles. Land Cruiser and Lx 470 with same motor and near same mileage and did not hear the sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not check the oil level.

It's nice to meet a knowledgeable Owner and it sounds like you know what your doing. The gas issue (pinging) could be a possibility but I don't think it's the cause. What we see some times, not often, is that the valves (1-2) can be a little out of adjustment and need to be checked/shimmed. This is not to say that you shouldn't buy this Sequoia as these 2UZ engines are strong as they come. It's just that I would have a local mechanic you trust just take a listen and possibly a quote. This adjustment job would run about $500 so you may want to take that into consideration when negotiating a price.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** cause any damage to drive it this way?

No. Most Owners that have had this issue choose not to repair it at that time and only 1-2 came back later. Those 1-2 were very good customers that owned several Toyota in their family. :)