Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I recently change my 5vzfe japanese engine to an American

Customer Question

Hello I recently change my 5vzfe japanese engine to an American model. Used existing loom and ecu also changed plugs and wires, check the inhector, coils and timing. After all this I am getting engine misfire.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for posting here.

Is the check engine light on, are there any misfire codes?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

What about engine compression, has it been checked?

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Is it a single cylinder misfire or multiple misfires on all cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the CEL is on. Tried scanning it, but no read out from the scan tool. The pressure test was done on the engine and was found to be OK. I am not sure which cylinder is misafiring.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply

I find it kind of strange that there is not a code with the check engine light on, it would help a lot to have that information, is it possible to use another scanner or go to an autoparts store to see if their scanner can read any codes? If not you can isolate which cylinder it is by disconnecting a coil wire and see which cylinder makes no difference in the way it runs, the engine has three coils on the passenger side, each fires two cylinders, you would have to disconnect each plug wire on the driver's side one at a time to see if it makes a difference, if these are ok then pull each coil out of the spark plug tube one at a time and see which cylinder is causing the problem, then we can concentrate on that particular one, it is also possible that there is a bad ground so check the brown/black ground wires on the intake chamber on the driver;s side, there is a 10 mm bolt that has a few ground wires, make sure it is tight.