scionking
scionking, Toyota Expert
Experience:  5 YRS EXP. ASE MASTER CERTIFIED/ TOYOTA MASTER CERTIFIED
26789525

2010 rav 4 keyless entry inop won't unlock car. New battery

Customer Question

2010 rav 4 keyless entry inop won't unlock car . New battery and it will flash when button is pushed but will not flash when near vehicle. key in key fob won't turn either to unlock car
Category: Toyota
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Was this key previously working with the car? With the remote or with the manual part of the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remote worked last night and we never tried the key until today
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

This will still start the car correct? Just not lock, unlock?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can't get in the car to try to start it, start button is on the dash
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

OK so you don't have other key to verify that that will unlock the car/ and or start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct only have one key and key fob here - other is 500 miles away
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Normally once these keys are programmed they don't lose there program, event if the key battery dies. Is it possible that the car battery died and this is why the car will not unlock? This would explain the car not flashing its lights or unlocking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possible, but don't believe so, battery is not that old. we are at a remote location, 1 1/2 hours from a lock smith too
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

When you insert the manual key to unlock the door, have you tried putting it in different ways, as in rotating it to the other side, so it would be inserted up side down?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

I don't remember if these keys are cut on both sides, or if one side is blank and one side is cut. But I think one side is blank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried both ways and wiggled it and pulled handle at the same time
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

OK, quick way to tell if battery is dead, is the security light flashing on the dashboard, it should flash every 30 seconds or so>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know if we get in the car can a key be used to start it? I think there may be a place to insert the key in the console but can't remember or get to the manual
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

No, this will only start with the push button.

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Is the security light flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
security light is flashing....
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

OK some this means the battery isn't completely flat.

Does your car have the handles that sense when you grabbed them? As in if you slide you hand in to the handle to open the door it will sense your hand and unlocks the car, some have this some do not, if you do have this option have you tried it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that and does not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guess I need to suck it up and break the small window in the back door to get in and go from there
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

There is that option, most insurance companies cover glass damage so it shouldn't cost you anything to do this, possibly a colder ride home than normal.

I' m still looking for solutions to this for you....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait, is there a place to insert the key inside the car to assist in starting it
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

No, If you find you have issues starting it, you can place the back side of the key( Toyota emblem side) over the start button, and press the start button while holding the key right over the button, as in directly on top of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll try that tomorrow after I get in the car. I'll see if our insurance will pay for a locksmith to get inside in the morning
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

I'm coming up with no other options, event to reprogram the key you have to have the doors open and ignition on, so this wouldn't help.

And the fact that they manual key doesn't work is odd, but I know you can order the remotes with an uncut key because its cheaper, so maybe the key you have was never cut for the car.

Normally what we do to get in to cars, is use a wedge and a long bar, its a special kit, but really you can use anything, I've actually used a splitting wedge(one you use for splitting wood). You wedge it in between the door, at the top near the window corner, it will create a crack in the door jam big enough to stick a bar in to pull on the inside door handle. I don't know what you have there at your disposal but you may be able to come up with something like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remotes are the original as we bought the car new, I have a kit here for getting into cars but it only covers to 2005 and it looks like you need to manually unlock it from the inside with the correct tool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hopefully it will start when we get in it tomorrow...
Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

How did you make out with this concern? Do you need any more assistance with this?

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Hello do you require more assistance? If not please accept my answer and rate the service provided.

Thank you for using Just Answer!!

Expert:  scionking replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you haven't accepted my answer do you require more assistance? If not please accept my answer and rate the service provided.

Thank you for using Just Answer!!