Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Car wont start when turning key to on position no dash

Customer Question

car wont start when turning key to on position no dash lights come on. check battery and starter. i was able to jumper start car and it turned on
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please clarify your situation. the car will not start with the key, but, if you connect a jumper cable to another battery, it will start. Is this correct?

Also, please describe what you did to 'hot wire' the battery to the starter. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i checked the bat it is good hot wired it pos bat to starter and it turned on

Ok. You hooked power from the battery to the starter and it started. which point on the starter did you apply this jumper wire? The big terminal or the small terminal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TO THE PLUG

Would you happen to have a 12 volt DC test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO I CAN GO GET ONE

Before we do anything, let's check the fusible links. If you are not getting power to the starter via the key switch, the 80 amp ALT fuse may be blown

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHERE IS THAT

It should be hooked to the battery Positive cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK SO PROB ONE WIRE OF THE TEST LIGHT AND GROUND THE OTHER HAVE SOMEONE TURN THE KEY TO SEE IF IT LIGHTS UP AND THEN WHAT? IT MOST LIKELY WONT LIGHT UP BECAUSE WE KNOW THE STARTER IS GOOD RIGHT?

When you get the test light, you need to remove the panel under the instrument panel to gain access to the back of the ignition switch. Remove the wire connector and test for power at the following wires:

Solid White: You should have power here. If not, you have a blown fuse between thsi connector and the battery.

Refit the wire connector and see if you have power (by backprobing the connector) at the Black with a white stripe wire. Power should be present with the key in the Start position. If not, the electrical side of the ignition switch is bad.

Finally, probe for power at the smallest wire on the starter with the key in the Start position. You should have power there if the key switch is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM SORRY I FORGOT TO SAY THAT REPLACING THE IGNITION SWITCH SO I KNOW THAT THAT IS GOOD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I DID
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM PRETTY SURE ITS NOT A FUSE OR THE STARTER RELAY UNDER THE HOOD OR BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CHECKED THEM BOTH AND THEY BOTH CLICKED ALTHOUGH I DIDNT CHECK THEM FOR RESISTANCE

You need to know if you have power going to the starter solenoid. You may have power (switch and wires all good), but the solenoid may be bad on the starter.

Let me ask this: Do you hear a single click when you turn the key to start from under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO NO SOUND AND DONT YOU THINK IT IS ODD THAT THE ONLY DASH LIGHTS I GET ARE THE AIR BAG AND THE DOOR LIGHT IF IT IS OPEN?

this leads me to believe that you have a blown fuse. .

There are 2 fuses that power the ignition switch in the fusible link box. One is for the start side of the ignition switch, the other is for the run side of the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALSO NO RADIO NO CLOCK AND NO LIGHTER BUT THE CLOCK AND RADIO ALWAYS GOT RESET WHEN I TURNED OFF THE CAR AND TURNED IT BACK ON

does the dome light come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have headlights?

I will bet you have headlights. I will also bet that your wipers do not work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HAVNT CHECKED WIPERS BUT YES I HAVE HEAD LIGHTS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DID FIND A BLOWN FUSE AND HAVE REPLACED IT BUT IM NOT SURE WHAT IT WAS FOR LOOKS LIKE THE ONE BY THE DOOR ON PASSENGER SIDE WHERE THERE IS A RELAY AND A SMALL FUSE

the top left fuse is the gauge fuse

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH YEA AND WHEN I DID GET IT STARTED I DIDNT HAVE ANY TURNING SIGNALS

Please put the key in the RUN position and tell me if you have:

Turn signals

Wipers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU MEAN TURN THE KEY ALL THE WAY AND KEEP IT THERE?

'all the way on' is to start. .............set the key to the place it stays in when the car is started up. the setting before start position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK WELL I ALLREADY KNOW I HAVE NO SIGNAL BUT ILL GO CHECK THE WHIPERS AND THE SIGNALS AGAIN CAUSE I DIDNT CHECK AFTER I REPLACED THE FUSE GIVE ME ABOUT 15 MIN THE CAR IS A BIT AWAY FROM THE HOUSE THANK YOU BE RIGHT BACK

Ok take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK SO GUESS WHAT I HAVE HAD ALL THESE GUYS THAT SAY THEY ARE CAPABLE OF WORKING ON CARS LOOKING AT MY CAR AND DIAGNOSING IT AND THE HOT WIRE WAS MY IDEA TO FIND OUT IF IT WAS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM I TRIED TO GET ONE OF THEM TO DO THE TEST LIGHT BUT THE MAIN ONE WAS SO SURE THAT IT WAS THE SWITCH RIGHT AND THEN HE FINALY LISTEND TO ME WHEN IT STILL DIDNT START ABOUT THE DASH THEN I TOLD THEM TO CHECK THE STARTER RELAY AND THE FUSES THEY SAID THEY WERE ALL GOOD THEY STILL HADENT PUT THE PANELS BACK TOGETHER SO I WENT IN THE CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND FOUND THE FUSE MYSELF. THIS WAS AFTER THEY WENT TO THE JUNK YARD AND GOT ALL THESE RELAYS AND NOT ONE OF THEM WAS EVEN THE STARTER RELAY. SO I SENT THEM LAST NIGHT TO GET FUSE TO REPLACE THE ONE I FOUND BLOWN AND I WAS ABOUT TO USE THE CAR TO TAKE MY DAUGHTER DOWN THE STREET AND THEY TOLD ME THAT MY RADIATOR CAP WAS AT HIS HOUSE SO I COULDNT USE MY CAR SO I DIDNT BOTHER TO SEE IF THAT IS WHAT IT WAS CAUSE I WAS IN A HURRY. SO THIS MORNING HE STARTS TO LOOK ONLINE AND FOUND THIS SITE SO I SAID F IT I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT. THEN AS IM TALKING TO YOU HE TELLS ME HE LOST THE KEYS TO MY CAR SO I GO OUT TO DO WHAT YOU SAY HE IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND MY HOOD WAS UP AND THE CAR KEYS WERE ON TOP OF THE CAR. SO I GO TO DO WHAT YOU TOLD ME AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP. SO BASICLY I JUST WAISTED YOURS AND MY OWN TIME. IM SORRY BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP YOU HAVE BEEN THE ONLY ONE TO LISTEN TO WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY.I CANT BELIEVE I SPENT SO MUCH MONEY AND ENDED UP FIXING IT MYSELF

You did not waste my time. I love a good electrical challenge. Glad you got it working. If you would be so kind, a Positive Rating for my assistance would be greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend, and, if you ever have problems again, look me up here at Just Answer; feel free to request me personally. I will be glad to help you out if you need me Thanks for choosing Just Answer

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer