Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

I have a 2000 toyota corolla and my front defrosters are not

Customer Question

hi, I have a 2000 toyota corolla and my front defrosters are not emitting any air, I was wondering how I should go about fixing it
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Does the blower work on all speeds and there is air in the other vents and floor mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all other blowers work just fine and on all speeds.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

When selecting the other positions do you feel any binding in the mode dial and can you hear the mode door moving and stopping in the defrost position? On the left side of the A/C box can you see full movement on the selector mechanism that controls the modes when the selector is turned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they don't bind up, but if i turn the dial fast enough to defrost i hear a thud. do i need to pop off the panel to see the full movement of the selector mechanism?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Standby.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you look up under the left side of the instrument panel just above the accelerator pedal and to the right you will see the side of the heater box. There is a control mechanism or lever system that attaches to the cable that goes to the mode select knob. As you move the mode selector make sure this mechanism is fully operating with no binding or restriction. Based on the description that you're giving me it sounds like that it is turning and going to the complete defrost mode because if you turn it fast you hear the thud. If you're still getting restricted airflow or lower airflow close both side vents for the driver and passenger dashboard vents these are not controlled by the mode selector. This will force all of the air onto the defroster. If it still seems to be not enough flow then there could be a problem with the doors or something inside the box itself but that would be extremely unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, so i looked and the lever system moves perfectly fine. I tried to close the vents on the sides of the car and blasting air to see if any would come through the dash and i had no luck. Air is not flowing from the defroster at all.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Can you look through the windshield and down into the defroster vents with a flash light to see if there's any obstructions in the vents themselves?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea, be right back
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing seems out of the ordinary, small bit of dust here and there, but not apparent blockage.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This only means some type of obstruction or the door mechanism is moving fully even though you hearing the outside mechanism not the actual diverter door inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright, so i'll have to open the dash and see what the problem is?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately yes I would probably start with pulling the radio and upper vent assemblies to get a good look inside the dash to see if anything looks unusual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alrighty, to get in i have to pop a knob off, unscrew something and then pull right?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Just make sure that is the maximum position on the control lever and the side of the box is fully to the defrost mode and try to move it slightly more is there any unusual play there? Is it fully to the defrost position on the mechanism and the cable is fully in the defrost mode it has to be something internally.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Make sure it is not out of adjustment. There is a wedge/clip deal that can pop off to adjust the outer cable to move the lever assembly to the max position,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what im seeing when it's fully turned to defrost
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I was trying to make sure that you understood fully that the cable snaps into that metal clip on the side of the box. As you move the lever the inner steel portion of the cable pushes the mechanism in and out. If that's not adjusted properly the defrost mode can quit working. If you disconnect the cable from the side of the box by pulling it out of that metal clip then take the cable off of the mechanism itself can you manually rotate the mechanism fully with or without the cable then adjusted accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright so i opened the front console and messed with the metal thing you told me to check. At this point i believe that the doors are not working as everything else seems to function properly.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Our last two replies must of crossed I just saw that you put the two pictures up. That is basically the illustration that I sent you. If that mechanism is moving on all different settings and going completely to the full extreme on defrost and you still have no airflow something has to be disconnected inside the box. To be honest with you I've never seen this happen before these heater boxes are pretty bulletproof. The defroster vents come up out of the top of the heater box behind the radio there's no way to tell if there's anything inside their without cutting them open. In order to get those off the heater box and look at the defroster vents themselves the entire dashboard has to come out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dang.. so i have to take it into the shop?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

If you are 100% certain that the adjustment on the lever on the side of the box is normal and correct this only leaves something on the inside of the box not moving correctly causing the air to divert or not go to the defroster. If the blower is pushing the air through all of the other modes to the floor and vents unfortunately yes it's in the box and unless you are willing to remove the instrument panel then remove the entire box which is about an eight hour job you will have to live with it or pay a shop and that could run a size $1500 when it's all said and done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow.. well winter is coming and it keeps getting worse here in ohio. I need the defrosters but the car is barely double the fixing cost. When i turn the blowers to defrosters the air keeps blowing out the front blowers, is the normal? Or would that tie in with the issue inside the box
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

When in the defrost mode there should be no air coming out of the center vents it will come out the side vents if those are left open. When you shift to the floor mode it should only come out the floor vents. What part of Ohio are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, well the air constantly comes out of all front facing vents regardless of knob setting. I live in dublin ohio
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This means the door is not moving inside the box if the outside exterior mechanism is moving when turning the knob for the mode select. If you want to shoot a short video clip of that mechanism while having someone turn the mode select I might build to see something going on that you not catching. You would have to post a video clip to a third party server than post a link here. I have to step out for a couple of hours I will be back on this evening. Dublin is nice ;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I'll record and post it. Looking forward to your feedback tonight! :)
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

OK