Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2008 ghlander Sport that had a front brake that was

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Highlander Sport that had a front brake that was locking up and burning brake fluid. They cleaned and replaced the line thinking that was the answer. It locked up again. The mechanic replaced the caliper but wasn't hopeful. The brake doesn't sound locked but my gas mileage is down from 15.6 in the city to 12.2. Any ideas on how to start on this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The first place to start (if this car was in my shop) would be to take the physical temperature of the brake rotors after a*****test. I would use a 'laser thermometer" (where you point a tool at the rotor and the temperature is transmitted back tot he tool). This is invaluable data to start a diagnosis. If one brake rotor is hotter than the others, this is the problem. The next task would be to find out why. Indiscriminate parts replacements do not fix problems like this, an accurate diagnosis of the situation is mandatory before any parts should be considered. If one rotor is hotter, this leads us to caliper, caliper slides, brake rotor thickness, brake lines, master cylinder, brake pedal adjustment, and rear brake operation. If Both front brake rotors are hotter than the rears, this leads us to understand that the back brakes are not doing their share of the braking. This causes the front brakes to overheat. Again, the best path here is to start where I described above. The rotor temperatures is the absolute first place to start this diagnostic procedure.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer