Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2006 toytoa 4 runner with a v6 4.0l I get 2 codes instantly

Customer Question

2006 toytoa 4 runner with a v6 4.0l
I get 2 codes instantly after resetting
p0335 and p0340 crankshaft and camshaft
car runs great. I replaced the crankshaft and vvts solenoid still same codes instantly after resetting. Battery was also replaced but is having loss of power 2 weeks after installation. im thinking cranking speed or an electrical problem? any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Has there been any recent work on the vehicle leading up to these to the current problems prior to replacing the sensors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think so. I just bought it like this. I can't get it to pass smog with these issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after driving for about 15 min I get p0016
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Was the crankshaft position sensor a Toyota part? Which VVTI solenoid did you replace? Was it a Toyota part?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the bank 1 vvts on the drivers side
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Verify you're not confusing the solenoid as you listed above with the sensor? Did you replace the bank one camshaft position sensor or the solenoid that you listed previously in your first initial response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the crankshaft sensor first. Then the vvts sensor bank 1 drivers side. No luck removing the 2 codes
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Just for clarification you know bank one is the passenger side bank not the driver-side? Are these sensors the passenger side camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor new Toyota parts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't know that. I thought bank 1 was drivers side........ Oh man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there is only 1 crank sensor right? I replaced that but still get the code. Also, the vehicle drives great so I don't understand what's wrong here....
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

This is actually a common mistake. It is possible that the other sensor is actually bad I think those sensors are interchangeable left or right but I would have to have the vehicle identification number to confirm that. If they connector is the same and they sensor looks the same swap to the other side put the original sensor back in for bank two that you changed and see if the codes go away. It is possible that the bad camshaft position sensor is setting a false crankshaft position sensor code. The two systems electronically and wiring wise are separate. The only way to know for sure if there's a problem with the gear on the crankshaft or the sensor itself or the protrusion on the camshaft or the sensor itself for the cam sensor would be to have an oscilloscope to check the waveform. Again put the new camshaft position sensor in the bank one on the passenger side and put the original bank two camshaft position back in and see if the codes come back. I have to step out for about 45 minutes let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Ok