Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

The inside general illumination fails petiodicly. This

Customer Question

The inside general illumination fails petiodicly. This includes window lights and dashboard lights left of the steering wheel. THIS IS A CONVERTIBLE !!!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, this is either a short in the wiring harness(cut, chafed, crimped, broken wiring) at the Main Body ECU, which is built into the fuse/relay box underneath the driver side of the dash(see attached), or the Main Body ECU is faulty. The wiring needs to be checked and repaired as needed. If ok, replace the Main Body ECU and program with scan tool

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

24 Oct 2015, 5:10 PM

Me

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answer given was good. There were too many "if it is not this, it could be that." I would have expected a more definite answer from people who consider themselves "EXSPERTS." I also think that the cost of the answer should be lower, when there are so many choices to repair the problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

When you are talking about electrical problems and there are MORE than 1 possible cause, unless the person is there to do the testing, there is NEVER a definite answer as there can be no guarantee that is the issue. If I told you that it was definitely the Main Body ECU and you replaced it at several hundred dollars and it turned out to be a chafed wire, would you not be upset.

An expert is not a magician that can automatically diagnose an electrical problem online with no hands on testing. IF this is what you are expecting, your expectations are a bit unreasonable.

If you understand even a little bit about electricity, then you understand that causes can be multiple.

As to costs of answer, I have no control over that and dont even know what you are agreeing to pay. I am not paid anything until you rate answer 3 stars(ok) or higher. If you rate 2 stars or less, or not rate at all, I get paid nothing.